Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday, June 23rd-Berea Ward

We went to Berea Ward today for all three hours. I love when we do that, as it hasn't happened all that much since we've been here. This ward seemed to be about 50% black and 50% white...everyone very friendly and fun to talk to. Sacrament was really good. They had four young single adults speak about Christ. The first one was the institute teacher and she spoke of the miracle of Christ's birth. The second two talked about Christ's life and the fourth about the resurrection. Their sweet testimonies and special spirit made the talks very enjoyable. A group of them also sang a song of Christ. It was a very sweet program. I never get bored in sacrament meeting. They always seem so short, which means they are always really good. Also the prayers given by the African people are so different than ours. They seem more personal, more spiritual, more pure.

In Sunday School, we had a great teacher as well. His lesson was well planned, with people assigned ahead of time to read scriptures. He was not an accomplished teacher, but I thoroughly enjoyed his lesson. It is proof that it is the spirit that helps students learn, not the teacher. If they plan the lesson and pray for the Spirit, it is felt and an amazing experience replaces the lesson and you learn the  celestial way, rather than the academic way. They have had a hard time in African getting people to teach, because they feel inadequate; and yet, when they do teach they have the best lessons I have ever heard.

Relief Society was also good. I never had to leave the chapel! All three of my classes were there.
They made me feel very welcome and one young single woman invited me to come to their events and cook a brie (bbq), because I am from Texas! Ha. I had to resist the urge to say, 'Y'all'. ///////////////////////The lesson was on tithing, which I had heard the week before in Chatsworth Ward, so someone is off...Ha. They have so many young single adult women that they went to their own class after opening exercises. I've never seen that done before.

We came home and relaxed, listened to church music and caught up on our reading.  Another beautiful day in paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment