Monday, December 9, 2013

Monday, November 3 to Thursday, November 7th-farewell to Durban friends

Monday November 3rd, we finished packing up the car and did some last minute cleaning. Then we headed out to Joburg. It is a nice drive and Elder Kyle drove the whole way (7 hours). We arrived there late afternoon and stayed in the Sunnyside Park hotel again. We met up with the Bybees serving in the Congo. I love them...such a nice couple serving in a country that has difficult living conditions. We rested a bit and then went to dinner at the hotel with the Bybees.

Tuesday Nov 4 and Wednesday Nov 5, we tried to learn something from the Murdocks about how to do our area office jobs, but a lot was going on. Couples kept arriving. We went out to lunches and dinners and Thursday, November 6th we went to the airport to pick up the Cinquinis, our replacements. Sister Murdock kept getting interrupted by everyone saying 'good bye' and asking when they were officially leaving. It was difficult to learn anything with all the distractions. This photo is a mystery to me...What were they laughing about? Perhaps me trying to find the key to Sean's office? Sean Donnelly is on the left, then Sister Murdock, me, Elder Murdock in front of Sean's office, Elder Kyle and Sister Bybee.

We met Sister Shupe and Sister Belliston that work in our office. They are really fun, so we should have a good time. Sister Shupe said that I remind her of a friend back home whose last name is Divine, so she started calling me Sister Divine. She will be an assistant to Sean and Elder Kyle and I. Her husband is on the legal team. I can tell already that there will be lots of laughing in our office. I may not be laughing very much until I figure out this financial program. It's pretty complicated with lots of procedures to be followed, if people in other parts of Africa want to be reimbursed. The area office is the hub of all Southeast Africa. We are who they will come to for help. It should keep us hopping.

One day we went out to lunch at this culinary school. It was a beautiful atmosphere and the menu was very interesting. We had a hard time choosing, all the dishes were so different and sounded so intriguing. Sister Murdock kept using her x21 zoom on her camera to take close ups of Sister Shupe. She got one of her teeth. It was pretty funny, but Sister Shupe was a little embarrassed by it.






These aspiring cooks really know how to present a dish. Look at Elder Kyle's Salad! Everyone's dish was a masterpiece and they were all very delicious.


Thursday night we had what they call a funeral for Elder and Sister Murdock, where everyone says something about them and cries because they are leaving. Murdocks wanted it to be a bit more fun, so they showed a slideshow of their mission, most of which was trips to game parks. Everyone commented on that one and wondered when they got any work done. They asked me to read the poems I wrote for them. One was about Sister Murdock's appendix rupture and the other was a poem I wrote about Elder Murdock being a cowboy and eating chocolate. This is Doctor Seuss style:

A cowboy, a salesman, a jokester, a dad,
A grandfather that looks like a lad.
He works alot. He talks alot.
He cannot get enough chocolate.

I love my chocolate. I love my cake.
I eat it till my belly aches.
I love chocolate Syrup...It is the best.
I use it often when I'm out west.

I love chocolate no matter the location. I even eat it on vacation.
I love chocolate at work or play; I love to eat it every day!
Any kind of chocolate is swell; there's nothing else I love so well.
Chocolate on ribs is very good; I'd lick it off...I would, I would.

I love to eat it with my peers; I love the leers and jeers and sneers.
I love to rub in it my hair; I cannot stop...I do not care.
I love it with my eggs and bacon; I love it when my tummy's aching.
I love it on my steak and burger; I love it when I use it further.

I am happy to have chocolate...I am, I am.
The only chocolate cowboy in the land.

I love to eat chocolate; I love to eat smores.
I love to eat them when I do chores.
When I'm asleep, when I'm awake,
There's always room for chocolate cake.

I love chocolate - I'll say it again; I love chocolate no matter when.
I love chocolate in my stirrups; I love chocolate in my syrups.
A happy man I am, I am when I lick chocolate from the pan.
I am the chocolate cowboy man...A happy man, I am, I am.


Of course while I was being creative, Elder Kyle was focused on the food...a wiser choice.

It was sad to think of the Murdocks not being there. They have pretty much been our mentors since we got to Africa, a hard act to follow. Everyone had a good time and got to say their goodbyes, even though Murdocks would be back for a few days before they actually left. This gang at the area office has a party and food at the drop of a hat. They love to party. I guess we will have to become social.


Sister Jensen, who is serving in Kenya blended in with the table so much we almost couldn't find her.

We all went back to the hotel after transferring some food and drink for our trip to our couples' conference the next day and Jensens picked up a car that would seat six people to help us transport everyone to the couples training in Kruger the next morning.


2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Thank you for sharing! May God continue to bless you both in your efforts to serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys! I wish I could have been there for your talks. They sound amazing! Thanks for sharing my story! I love for people to hear it. I miss you guys a ton and am so glad you had enough time to do the blog!

    ReplyDelete